Thursday, December 12, 2013

More random musings, selfishness, J.O.Y. and more

I was thinking and praying the other day about my relationships with my children, when a thought occurred to me. Our relationships with our children really teach us how to interact with people and truly care for others. I always think of that expression, Jesus First, Others Second, Yourself Last. It is so hard to do that. I want what I want and I want it now!

I think this is one of our current social issues. Most people I've encountered are very concerned about themselves and how things affect them, most of the time myself included. We don't usually mean it though. I think a great majority of people don't walk around all day thinking everything is about them. For me, I'm in my head a lot, always thinking, always contemplating and trying to figure things out. In some ways, its a good thing because I learn why I do things and what makes me do them. In other ways, I over analyze just about everything.

I have five children and I see selfishness every day in their interactions with each other and with my husband and I. They don't even know that they are selfish. We are born with a selfish nature. In some ways, it protects us from harm, but in other ways it can cause harm. If we are always more concerned about what we want or how we feel, we can ruin relationships with others, we can miss out on opportunities to help others, to support others and most importantly to witness to others.

Jesus stated in Matthew 22:35b, "You Shall Love Your Neighbor As Yourself." It isn't easy to love others when you don't think about others. Some might even say that it is nigh impossible. Jesus was responding to a question about which commandment is greatest commandment, "You Shall Love the LORD Your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind." followed by loving your neighbor as yourself. Hence, J.O.Y, Jesus First, Others Second, Yourself Last.

This is just something I've been pondering the last few days and weeks. It is so easy, at least for me, to get all caught up in my own "troubles".  Does anyone else ever think about this? I'd love your comments.

2 comments:

  1. I think about this a lot. We are all born selfish, yes, but I do think that we have become unnaturally self-centered as a culture as well. The mindset of putting others before ones self is so counter-cultural. It really throws my non-christian friends yet they see something working in my family that is peaceful and they want it. Such an important concept for us to try to model!

    I think that sometimes if we focused more on living as Christ told us to rather than simply spouting off our vast biblical knowledge, we'd win a lot more hearts. (At least that is what I am being humbled with lately! Lol!) Nice post, my friend!

    ReplyDelete