Tuesday, June 17, 2014

The Prayer Box Book Review



 Cover: The Prayer Box



The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate is about Tandi Jo Reese a 33 year old single mother. She had just left her husband and ran away with her two children to the Outer Banks. She is trying to start a new life and beat an addiction to OxyContin. Her life up to this point has been full of pain and untrustworthy people including her parents. She rents a cottage next to a large Victorian owned by a 91 year old woman named Iola Anne Poole. When Iola dies, and Tandi is tasked to clean out the large Victorian her life is forever changed at the discovery of many boxes filled with letters.

I really really enjoyed this book. When I first started reading it, I thought I would have a hard time identifying with the characters and really getting into the story. Boy, was I ever wrong! The characters really come to life and are full and rich. I felt like I knew them by the end of the book. Tandi's character especially is complex and complicated. There are lots of wonderful stories woven throughout and many wonderful quotes. My favorite quote was, "Maybe there came a point in life where you had to quit categorizing whole groups of people by a few bad experiences." This book was a great read. I'm so glad that I read it. I was crying by the end. I was really invested and then surprised by the outcome at the end of the book. I highly recommend reading this story. I will read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment